Sunday, January 25, 2009

Update- Sun. 10:15am

Just got off the phone with my mom, she sounds great, more upbeat and excited for the challenges ahead of her in the next few days. Here are the facts:
- I think she will be released by Tuesday or Wednesday
- She is craving food- sherbert and tangerines
- They are going to put a clamp on the NG (tube that goes to her stomach) today so she can try to eat some food. If she does not get nauseated it means that her body is ready for more food, if she does get nauseated it is not quite ready and there is more waiting to be had.
- The food that she may be able to eat for this test includes sherbert, mashed potatoes and broth (may not sound good to you or me but after not eating for a week she is thrilled!).
- She will get the epidural out of her back on Monday (this has been used for pain management) from here on out pain meds will be administered through the IV.

My father still remains in Denver (yes I think he is stir crazy) but giving my mom the support and encouraging her with a positive attitude and plenty of walking.
She sounds better and more upbeat- however I think she will be happy to be home.
Meanwhile I am at home with the cat who is meowing more than ever to wonder where mom and dad are.
Hopefully I will get an update by this evening and will post.
Thanks for your prayers!

10 comments:

  1. I'm another friend you've never met who learned of your journey via Natalie's blog. I'm praying for your comfort, strength, and healing and also for your family while you fight this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just arrived via Natalie's blog. I was a teacher and know how one can impact a child
    s life - just as you have Finn's. I am praying for you as you resume your cancer journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I actually love broth and mashed potatoes and think that sounds pretty exciting! Praying for you, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mrs. Librarian: Wishing you a speedy recovery and on to working with the kids again soon. (Natalie sent me over!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, but I am a teacher and a follower of Finn. WE are praying for your strength and restored health. This world needs people like you in it. Enjoy your mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Natalie's cousin from Ohio (one of them). As a fellow teacher, I am aware of the impact teachers can have on kids and the impact you've made on Finn (and Natalie) will NEVER be forgotten! Fight the good fight so you can continue your journey of touching people's lives.
    Praying for you...Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. United together in thoughts and prayers through Natalie's blogs, we should be able to lick this cancer! Please know you have tons of people on your side thinking and wishing you the best during these times. Your benevolence helped them (Finn and family) through a rough patch and we all are very thankful for your insights, concern and heartfelt warmth. We'll stay with you through all this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stopping by from Natalie's, too, and sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Stay strong and enjoy your sherbet and mashed potatoes, Ruth!! :-)

    -Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you from the "cant control my life if I can't control my hair blog" that natalie keeps -- I don't know her personally, or you, but I am really good at positive thoughts for anyone needing them - so I will be thinking of your whole family and wishing you strength, joy, laughter, peace and much healing!!!!
    Lindsay in CA :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I send my good wishes and thought along to your mother. She was such a big part of my little friend, Finn, getting settled in school. I know Natalie will forever be grateful for her kindness to Finn.

    ReplyDelete