Saturday, February 27, 2010

After being off of chemo for 6 weeks, I have noticed a significant increase in weight due to a substantial amount of fluid that is building up in my abdomen again. I scheduled an appointment to have the fluid removed at Presbyterian St. Luke's Hospital in Denver on Thursday. Unfortunately, the same radiologist that was successful in removing 12 lbs. of fluid last time was unable to access the only pocket with enough fluid to make the procedure worthwhile. He said to wait a few weeks and we could try again. Needless to say, I was very disappointed because I am experiencing pain, lack of energy, and an overall feeling of just not being up to par. The oncologist in Denver that I met with and my oncologist here in Vail both concur that the fluid is a result of cancer cell activity; therefore, we will resume chemo treatments on Tuesday, March 2nd using the same regimen for another 4 treatments. I will need to have a echo cardiogram done before each treatment because this drug is particularly hard on the heart, though I have never experienced any problems there before. I guess all those years of running paid off! In the meantime, I am trying out a new pain medication and hope that once I start the chemo treatments, maybe my body will be able to absorb the fluid naturally. I am still going to school every day that I am not having a procedure done. This week is the Dr. Seuss Celebration in the library on Monday, and the spring book fair starts on Tuesday. Parent - Teacher conferences are also next week, so teachers are expected to stay until 7 P.M. two evenings, so I will truly be put to the test. Please continue to pray for me. Bob and Sarah are so great to remind me that life for everyone is a roller coaster ride, so we are experiencing the ups and the downs of life just as you are. We love you and enjoy hearing from you so much!
Ruth

7 comments:

  1. Praying for you Ruth! See you at the Book Fair!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ruth, I am so sorry. Please let me know what I can do to help. Please know you are always on our hearts, in our minds and in our prayers.

    Thanks for the update.

    Love you Ruth, Jenn B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, the treatment sure sucks ... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you, Ruth, have been on a very long roller coaster ride. I hope and pray your ups will start out weighing your downs. You are one courageous woman! You, Bob & Sarah continue to be in my daily thoughts and prayers. -- Laurie S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I finally figured out how to select my profile & post ... "Blogging 101"

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Apontes are with you in prayers, spirit and friendship. I look often for your updates and pray for you each day. We love you Ruth!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth,

    You are always in our thoughts and prayers! We send you lots of sunshine, laughs and love!

    Shannon Borasio

    ReplyDelete