Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's hard for me to admit to myself and you that this is the first time I have felt well enough to get to my computer and post something on my blog. After getting the ascites (fluid) removed from my belly on Wednesday, I have been in a lot of pain. I was not able to go to school on Thursday or Friday, and felt too sick to get the chemo infusion as planned on Thursday. I rescheduled the chemo for Friday, but my blood draw showed that my red blood cell count was too low to give me the infusion. So, I am now scheduled for 2 units of blood on this Monday, MLK Day, and will hopefully get the chemo on Tuesday. I am greatly discouraged that I am already a week behind where I thought I would be in the process - the fluid is already building back up which is a sign that the cancer remains unchecked by anything I am doing. I am still taking the alternative remedies for my immune system, enzymes, and sticking to the vegan diet because I know they can't hurt, and just might help in the overall scheme of things. That cancer is a tough one to beat! I have had to resort to taking some powerful narcotic pain medication and the side effect for that is constipation which causes even more pain! I feel like an old lady talking about all my aches and pains, but I did want you to know what's going on. I was able to meet with the head doctor of a Phase 1 clinical trial for endometrial patients at the University of Colorado Medical Center that could possibly be something I could participate in down the road if I remain strong in all of my bodily functions. Sarah has left the park, Patagonia Conservacion, and is traveling with her friend Caroline in Argentina. All seems to be above and beyond her wildest dreams. Bob continues to work 12-14 hour days, take care of me, the house, and all the shoveling, and still swims 3 mornings a week and runs 3 days a week. We both pray that God will loan me some of his energy, as I could really use it. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and phone calls. It is so comforting to know that you are pulling for me and encouraging me to get through these rough days because there are brighter ones ahead! Our Lord is so faithful in meeting our every need, so at times like this, I know to just draw closer to Him. Love you-
Ruth

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping us all updated, Ruth! We are all praying for your healing. And as for chemo and the long term constipation issues it causes, believe me, it's still a daily topic around here! In fact, I often wonder if there will ever be a phase of my children's life where I'm not talking about poop so at this point, it's just second nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GINGER FORWARDED YOUR EMAIL AND I WAS SO GLAD TO GET AN UPDATE. I CHANGED MY EMAIL (susukearney@gmail.com)AND HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY NEWS IN QUITE A WHILE. REGARDLESS, YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS EVERY DAY, AND MIKE AND I ARE CONSTANTLY PULLING FOR YOU. I HAVE NEVER WITNESSED SUCH COURAGE, DETERMINATION, HOPE, AND FAITH...YOU ARE SUCH A BRIGHT, GUIDING LIGHT IN THIS WORLD.
    LOVE TO YOU, BOB AND SARAH ALWAYS AND FOREVER, SUSU

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great seeing you the other day. I just love you Ruth! Please call if you need anything.

    JennB:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy and Preston JumpFebruary 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM

    Dear Ruth, Bob and Sarah.
    Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers -- for strength and recovery.
    Take good care and God bless you always.
    Sandy and Preston

    ReplyDelete