Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's amazing how much better I feel now that I am finished with my last chemo treatment and am on summer break - a healthy combination that even the doctors couldn't have ordered! After Bob and I met with my surgeon on Monday, I have decided not to participate in any clinical trials and will not have any more elective surgery to remove the growing tumors. Instead, I will remain under the care of my oncologist at the Shaw Regional Cancer Center in Edwards, CO, who will continue to monitor my condition with weekly blood tests and to administer any medications I may need. I am also consulting with Dr. Bamberger at the Center for Longevity and Lifestyle Changes in Edwards to bring my ph level into balance and to detoxify my body so that my immune system may have a fighting chance to slow down the growth of the cancer cells. I am on a strict vegan diet with whey protein added, and am drinking lots and lots of alkaline water. After only a few days, I really do feel more energetic and am experiencing less pain than I was a week ago. Praise God! I am optimistic that my quality of life will improve, and I feel a lot better about putting good things in my body instead of poison! Bob and Sarah support me in these decisions. They have been so dedicated to caring for me over the past 6 months and are thrilled to see me doing some of the things that I used to be able to do before surgery and chemo. I got the results of my blood draw today and learned that my red blood cell count is improving, platelets are up, and my white blood cell count is normal. I am looking forward to visiting with family and friends over the next several weeks and finally being able to plant some flowers now that the probability of another freeze is unlikely. I enjoy "sleeping in" until 6 A.M., having a leisurely cup of tea, relaxing in our comfortable home, and receiving all the cards, e-mails, phone messages, and prayers that people near and far are sending my way. I feel so blessed to have this wonderful support. God is so faithful to answer our prayers with the thoughtful generosity of others. It is truly amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Ruth,
    I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better and getting some relaxing time in! Next week I'm starting a two week cleanse to also get more alkaline! I'm a little worried about some of the stuff I have to drink. . .

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete